Friday, January 8, 2010

Day 8:

Wednesdays and Fridays are also fasting days in the Eastern Orthodox Faith. Wednesday was the day that the council gathered to betray Christ and Friday was the day that Christ suffered death for our salvation. I need to educate myself more on the actual fasting from my Spiritual Father. I did the best I knew how for today.

Breakfast

Lunch
Snack
Dinner


I have been reading and listening to the importance of GIVING with a happy heart. It's not how much you give, but rather how willing and joyful you are at the time of your giving.

It prompted me to research a charity online called, Blessings In A Backpack. Please take a second to click on link and view their mission. I noticed that only 1 school in all of Colorado has been sponsored and that needs to change. I am certain there are a ton of schools with impoverished families that can use a little extra help with eating for the day.

My church has a group of kind hearted and committed women called the Philoptochos. They gather once a month speaking about and putting into action fundraisers to aid the needy. From battered wives' shelters to orphanages to nursing homes. The list is endless. I joined forces with them years ago, when I was a mother of one child. I showed up religiously and was a part of most events.

The following year, I only showed up to 3 meetings and this past year NONE! I can use the excuse that I was busy or that I have three kids now, but so do the other members. The truth is I lost my incentive.

The first meeting of the year is Tuesday, and I intend on showing up and bringing up Blessings in a Backpack to them. I am going to use all my resources this year, to make THINGS happen. One cannot bring about change by simply thinking about it.

I love the following passage from James 2:14-16:
Of what benefit is it, my brothers, if a certain one says he has faith but he does not have works? That faith cannot save him, can it? If a brother or a sister is in a naked state and lacking the food sufficient for the day, yet certain one of YOU says to them: "Go in peace, keep warm and well fed," but YOU do not give them the necessities for (their) body, of what benefit is it?

I also ran into old but familiar faces today as well. It gave me hope of building on friendships this year that will enrich my life. Have you ever had an acquaintance that is always welcoming and generous, but never made the effort to get together? Why do we do that?

I feel myself more open this year to God's intention for me. It feels easier than expected and more rewarding.

Good night friends!

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin