Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Day 6: Snow & Soup

Today, was a cold and snowy day in Colorado.
Temperatures ranging between 4-10 degrees Fahrenheit. On days like today, it puts me in the mood for lots of................

...................................soup!

But first, I had breakfast. A cup of my Chai,
one egg (sunny side up), and an orange.

Lunch: My husband's chicken with homemade noodles soup.


After lunch, I needed to quickly bake a batch of OVER SIZED chocolate chip cookies, to mail to my Aunt Mary for her birthday on Sunday. Of course, I had to have one of those bad boys. The only comfort I had, was knowing they were made for someone else and I could not indulge in more than ONE! Plus, I am weighing in for the first time in A WEEK tomorrow, and since it's on my blog,
I need to "watch it." After diving into the first dessert this week, 1 cookie was surprisingly enough.

Cured my sweet tooth and on we go...........


Dinner: 10 Vegetable Vegetarian Hot-and-Sour Soup from one of my favorite Chinese cookbooks, called Susanna Foo Fresh Inspiration. This soup has it all. Spicy, a tad sour, earthy, and just a mouthful of fresh vegetables. After eating one bowl of this soup, I was full and very pleased.

Here's the recipe:


4 oz firm tofu
3 tbsps. soy sauce
3 tbsps. of rice wine vinegar
2 tsps. kosher salt
1 1/2-2 tsps. freshly ground white pepper
2 tsps. of cornstarch, mixed with 1/4 cup of water
8 cups of Vegetable Stock
2 tbsps. corn oil
1/4 cup thinly sliced shallots
2 jalapeno peppers, stemmed and chopped
1/2 cup diced (1/4 inch) peeled celery root
1/2 cup diced (1/4 inch) peeled parsnips
1/2 cup diced (1/4 inch) peeled carrots
10-12 dried shiitake mushrooms, soaked in warm water for 20 mins., drained, stemmed, and diced
1/2 cup diced (1/4 inch) Yukon Gold potatoes
1/2 cup diced (1/4 inch) zucchini
1/2 diced (1/4 inch) tomatoes
1/2 cup chopped scallions
1 tsp. sesame oil
2 tbsps. finely chopped fresh cilantro

Rinse the tofu under cold water, then place on several layers of paper towels to drain for 10 minutes. With a sharp knife, cut the tofu into 1/2 inch dice.

Combine the soy sauce, vinegar, salt, white pepper, and cornstarch mixture in a large bowl and mix well. Stir in the stock.

Heat the oil in a large stockpot over high heat. Add the shallots and jalapeno peppers and cook, stirring, until the shallots are soft, 1-2 minutes. Add the celery root, parsnips, carrots, shiitakes, and potatoes, stir, and cook for 2 minutes to sear and coat the vegetables. Add the stock mixture and bring to a boil. Turn the heat to low and simmer uncovered, for 20 minutes, or just until the vegetables are soft.

Add the tofu and zucchini and simmer for another 10 minutes, or until the zucchini is soft. Add the tomatoes and scallions, stir, and cook for 1 minute.

Ladle the soup into bowls, drizzle with the sesame oil, sprinkle with the cilantro, and serve.

After dinner, I dropped my son off at his Destination Imagination meeting, while I ran over to the gym for that hour and worked out on the bicycle. 30 minutes, 10.76 miles, and burned 150 calories......that's probably 1/2 the calories of those enormous cookies.

I will be weighing in tomorrow, so please join me to see the results. Have I done enough for the first week? Do I need to push harder next week? What difference have the first 7 days made?

I would also love to hear from anyone else out there that is trying to improve their life from the outside and in. What are some of your triumphs, tricks, or goals?

Good night sweet friends and see you tomorrow!

1 comment:

Lily of the Valley said...

Never would have thought of hot and sour soup in that way; picture makes the soup look delectable. Working from the inside out . . . well, I'm trying to prevent from defining myself just in terms of the world's standards: accomplishments and achievements, external beauty, comparing with the Jones's, working for pay, etc. Focusing on doing what the Lord's calling me to do (be home with my children for now, mentor others, ), accepting in my heart who I am to God. Certainly exercising and eating well (cutting out soda), so that I have energy and can get things done would be good, too.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin