Sunday, January 3, 2010

Day 3: The Spiritual Path

Breakfast: Hard boiled eggs over bed of arugula with tomatoes and Dijon vinaigrette. My own invention, although I am certain someone else came up with it, and I just have not read that book yet. For now, I claim all rights to this dish.

After breakfast, it was time to put on our Sunday best and head to church.

Without the spiritual life in place, everything else struggles to stand on its own.

Today, we made sure that we got all 5 of us dressed and out the door in time for Divine Liturgy. I am not one to preach, because I was not the most outstanding Christian last year either. I missed so many Sundays, missed confession all together, fasted only P/T and my center of peace was off-kilter. One of the vows I made for 2010, in "NO MORE EXCUSES". Get up and go and think about how tired I was this morning after service, not before. The thought of doing something is not as relevant as doing it.

My spiritual father spoke today of walking the straight path of Christ toward the narrow gate. It rang loud and clear. Yes, we stumble along that path, but we are not expected to be "perfect". We are however expected to try and by the grace of God be given the knowledge to know when we are failing.

On the way home, my husband told the kids they were expected to do their chores. My 4 year old adamantly said,
"No Dad, not today."


"Why not?"

"Because, Mom told us that God worked and worked for 6 days to put together our Earth, and today was the day he took off. So we need to rest."

What can I say, he paid attention....AMEN!

While the children & husband napped after church, I ran to the gym. Yes, ALL was possible today after all. Remember, NO EXCUSES..........worked on the treadmill for 30 minutes (1.5 miles and burned 121 calories). Following the treadmill I hit all the arm and leg machines, for repetitions of 10. I need to build my upper body strength to do the monkey bars.

Lunch: Cup of broccoli & leek soup from yesterday's entry.


Dinner: Mario Batali's AWESOME Turkey meatballs & pasta sauce over fettuccine. The most tender turkey meatballs. The kids gobbled it up too. And I treated myself to a glass of wine with my Italian dinner.

Here's the recipe for the meatballs:

2 lbs. ground turkey
2 1/2 cups breadcrumbs
1/2 cup milk
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 tbsp. chopped fresh rosemary
1 tbsp. hot red pepper flakes
2 tbsps. salt
2 tbsps. freshly ground black pepper

Preheat the oven to 475 degrees Fahrenheit.

To make the meatballs, in a large bowl combine the turkey, bread crumbs, milk, eggs, garlic, rosemary, red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper; and mix lightly with your hands until just combined. Form into golf ball-sized meatballs and place in a shallow casserole.

Roast the meatballs until dark golden brown, about 15 minutes. Remove from oven.

As a side note, you then reduce the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and add your tomato sauce (of your choice) to the meatballs. Place the casserole back in the oven for 1 hour.

All I can say is.........perfection. Love, love this recipe. Gracie signore Batali!

To end the evening, we watched Santa Buddies. The kids are fast asleep, as tomorrow is, back to school day. Today was a great day.

Good night sweet friends and see you tomorrow.


1 comment:

Jennifer Juniper said...

That breakfast is right up my alley!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin