Saturday, January 2, 2010

Day 2: A Little More Routine

Today, my husband was back at work, which made my day seem a little more routine and challenging to get things done.

I did however sleep for 10 hours, which felt amazing. Made up for all the sleepless nights during the Holiday Festivities.



Breakfast: Oatmeal with blueberries and a drizzle of 100% Maple Syrup. I have convinced myself that the 100% Maple has to have more nutritional value than that Pancake Syrup stuff. Will need to do more research on that and let you know.

We ran a ton of errands today. We also visited the library. If you want a new way to work out, just place your 1 year old on the floor at the library, and then run back and forth putting books in their original place. Left me pretty breathless.



For the real workout today.....the hula hoop. I cannot keep that hoop around my waist longer than.....ooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh 10 seconds at a time. Do it over and over again for 30 minutes, and you got yourself a full Cardio.



I figure if the Belly Dancing workout is the new craze, this is pretty close. My new goal, outside of crossing the monkey bars, is keeping the hula around my waist for 3 minutes straight like.........................



..........who else? My multi-talented 6 year old. He's my idol. If I can keep up with my children, I will be in fantastic physical condition.



Lunch: Cream of broccoli & leek soup, inspired by The Oprah Magazine Cookbook. Delish! Here is the recipe:

1 lg bunch of broccoli
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1 Tbsp. unsalted butter
2 med leeks, white and light green part only, thinly sliced
1 med baking potato, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
1 garlic clove, thinly sliced
3 cups of vegetable broth
Salt & White Pepper to taste
1/4 cup Fat Free Half & Half
1/4 cup of snipped chives

Separate broccoli stems from florets. Using a vegetable peeler, peel stems to remove tough outer layer, then slice into 1/4-inch-thick "coins". Break or cut the florets into small pieces. Reserve stems and florets separately.

In a medium saucepan, heat oil and butter over medium heat. Add leeks and cook, stirring often, until softened and fragrant, about 3 minutes. Add 3 cups of water, broth, salt and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover partially and simmer until broccoli and potato are tender, about 12 minutes.

Add florets; bring to a boil and then simmer 5 minutes. Transfer soup in batches to a blender or food processor, and puree until smooth. Return soup to saucepan; and half & half and chives, and reheat briefly.



Dinner: Salmon burgers on whole wheat buns with lettuce, tomatoes, and Dijon.

Did a couple more hula hoop rounds and called it a day! Good night sweet friends and see you tomorrow.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin