Friday, January 1, 2010

Day 1: Let The Good Living Begin

There it was, staring back at me in Black & White! 161.1 lbs. I am a 5'7" woman who weighs 161.1 lbs and wearing a size 12. No muscle & no energy. I usually eat well, but I do not "portion control". And my one biggest addiction, SUGAR!!



I will not say the word "diet" because I do not believe in any diet out there. I believe in hard work and common sense. I do not want to be a size 0, I want to be comfortable in my own skin and able to run up the stairs without going into cardiac arrest.

That's why I made the choice of portioning out my food....get rid of those 10" plates. I am eating on the small plates with my boys. And the common sense part, well, stay away from lots of bad fats and especially Drive Thru windows. As far as my "sugar addiction", I am allowing myself to indulge in dessert ONCE a week, and not the entire batch of cookies.



Breakfast: Two hard boiled eggs with a touch of Tabasco for flavor, yellow bell peppers & tomatoes with a drizzle of olive oil and salt. Still enjoyed my morning cup of coffee too.



Getting me to actually go to the gym is a task and a half and I know most of you feel my pain. I am going to start slow and do activities that bring me joy, for example, walking to the neighborhood park with Ethan & Lance. They were so excited to go with mom. Ethan rode his bike, while Lance jogged there. The park is 1/2 mile each way.



Ethan drew a picture of his mother in the snow.......he forgot to add those extra pounds to the "stick figure".



Lance wanted to play tic-tac-toe in the snow. We spent an hour at the park, swinging, sliding, attempting the monkey bars, chasing each other with snow balls, making snow angels, and just getting out quality time in as a family.



We arrived home and were famished. First we washed off!

Lunch: Linguine with spicy leek & tomato sauce. Lite and flavorful. One small bowl, no seconds. Enough to fill my belly.

As expected, I got a sugar craving after lunch, because it was ritual for me to eat sweets after a meal. What to do? What to do?
Snack on an apple....ok....that kept me busy for a few short minutes. Now what? I am STILL craving sugar.......I walked around my house trying to make the best choice possible, without ruining this on the first day. Aha! A piece of gum. I chewed that piece of gum until it was the stalest piece of gum ever. It did the trick.

We listened to some children's music, read "The Adventures of Tom Sawyer", did some squats with my one year old on my shoulders, played the game Trouble and before you knew it, it was dinnertime.



Dinner: Prosciutto-wrapped cod w/ lemony spinach from Food Everyday. I know I poke fun at Dear Martha, but I do cook her recipes. I also added a small serving of green beans....the more vegetables the merrier.

I will share the recipe with you because it was quick and yummy and filling.

4 skinless cod fillets (6 t0 8 oz. each)
4 thin slices of prosciutto
2 tbsps of olive oil
3 bunches of spinach
2 lemons, 1 juiced & 1 cut into wedges

Heat broiler, with rack set 4 inches from heat. Season cod with salt & pepper. Wrap one slice prosciutto around each fillet; rub with 1 teaspoon oil, and place, seam side down, on a broiler proof baking sheet. Broil until prosciutto is browned and fish is opaque throughout, 8-12 minutes.

Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat remaining 2 tablespoons oil over medium. Add as much spinach as will fit in skillet; season with salt and pepper. Cook tossing and adding more spinach as there is room, until wilted and tender, 4-6 mins. Sprinkle with lemon juice; toss to combine. Serve cod with spinach and lemon wedges.

Finished eating by 6PM and finished the night off with a cup of Green Tea. Before calling it a day, and what a great day it was, we had one more task at hand........................


"The Three Little Pigs."
One that went to the Bank, One that went to Charity, and One that went "wee wee" all the way to Dave & Busters.

Yes, we set up our, SAVE, SPEND, and CHARITY piggies as a family. We will all contribute to them throughout the month.

We are not assigning which Pig belongs to what category, because our boys will only contribute to the Spending Piglet. We will deposit equally across the board, whenever we have extra change in our pockets. On the last day of every month, we will open the piggies up and do the following:

SAVE: deposit in the kids bank accounts
SPEND: spend the money on a family activity (bowling, movies, golfing, etc.)
CHARITY: choose a different charity monthly to designate our funds to

I am off to bed dear friends. Part of being healthy is adequate zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz's and I need to get my 8 hours in. Good night and see you tomorrow.

3 comments:

Lily of the Valley said...

You're a brave, brave lady to put your poundage out there in cyberspace. Do remember that super popular people, like Marilyn Monroe, wore a size 10/12. I agree with you that the focus needs to be not so much on dieting but on good choices.

Rannyjean said...

AAHHHHHHHHHHH, the new year and new habits. I wish you well my friend. I too am working on being healthier!

Laurel@FromMyHeartToYours said...

Wow, I want to eat at your house! :)

Corina, good job!! I LOVE what you say about dieting - I don't believe in dieting..just setting one up for disappointment as you can't go on DIETing forever. I think you are well on your way to being healthier!

It's nice to see some pictures of you too.

Be blessed in 2010 dear friend

Hugs from Canada

Blog Widget by LinkWithin