Thursday, December 17, 2009

Name Wall Hangings & Appliqued Onesies



For my daughter's Christening, my friend made Kate a name plaque that is hanging up in her room. I loved it so much, that I had the need to make something that special for someone in my life. Hence, Gia & Maya, my nieces.

Gia's room is the same ladybug theme as my daughter's, which made it easy for me to pre-plan.



I purchased my supplies, where else? Michaels! They need to sponsor me with all the plugs I have been giving them this Season. The cost for the wooden supplies was $8. The paint $4 and I already had the necessary brushes.



Paint one item at a time with your solids first, dry for 2 hrs before adding all the details. Look at your inspiration, and lay out your road map before beginning.



Maya is in Arizona, and she has lots of pinks and purples in her room. I used the butterfly as my guide for the colors and patterns.





Now that I was done with the Wall hangings, it was time for my next project. Appliqued Onesies. G for Gia!



I found this cute batik pattern at the Great American Quilt store in Denver. I adored the XOXO and felt it portrayed how I feel about my precious 3 month old niece.



Batiks need to soak in hot water several times, to ensure the dye has completely run its course. The red took me 10 soaks, while the pink took only 5. You will know it is done when the hot water is clear and the fabric no longer.................




.........leaves the water looking like this. Would hate to have the onesie turn that color. It is imperative to soak the fabric FIRST!



This paper, better known as WonderUnder, makes appliqueing a cinch. Simply trace your image onto the smooth side of the paper, iron onto wrong side of the fabric and follow the instructions indicated. The paper acts as an adhesive for the fabric. Iron onto the tee/onesie and stitch. I used the a blanket stitch on my G!

You can purchase WonderUnder at quilt stores or Joanna Fabrics.



The day would not be complete without a Holiday Treat. This year I made Paula Deen's Peanut Butter Cheese Fudge.

All I can say is, "It's real yummy ya'll."

A must try and it will definitely impress your friends who are used to the traditional chocolate fudge.



Don't forget to stop by the Shabby Chic Cottage for Transformation Thursdays.

3 comments:

Jennifer Juniper said...

Those signs are darling! I've seen that fudge and I'm so afraid! I really should try it, but I just can't get over the cheese thing!!!

Pam said...

I love the name plaques and the fudge looks killer!

Lily of the Valley said...

The name wall hangings are darling. Love your creative ideas.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin