Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Grocery Challenge

My husband and I got signed up for the Dave Ramsey, Financial Peace University. A friend of ours noticed that we were in dire need of a financial makeover.

We are a family of 5 living on one income, paycheck to paycheck. We are also in a lot of debt. Medical, educational, you name it, DEBT. We acquired it because we did not PLAN. Plan for kids, plan for a home, plan for cars, plan for an education. How funny right? These are common things that we all need to finance at some point and yet we hope that the money will magically appear.

So we Borrowed! Yes we borrowed from our reliable institutions just waiting for our signature on the dotted line. A signature that allows them to absorb what little we do have.

OK, now that I am done whining, it's time to be Proactive. My husband and I created our first Monthly Cash Flow Plan and it wasn't pretty. With every dollar sign, my heart beat got louder and louder. But this was a reality that needed to be faced. We can no longer go through life in ignorance.

What we discovered, is that like the majority of Americans, we are living on an average of $1500-$2000 a month out of our means. What to do? Cut down, cut down, cut down. On groceries, gas, gifts, entertainment and monthly payments. I know you will make the excuse, "Well I am not in debt and KNOW that I am living within my means." Really? When was the last time you actually tracked your expenses? So you have NO DEBT, but how much do you have SAVED?

Stick to the plan to reach a brighter future. Instant gratification robs you of your retirement, your children out of a paid in full education, your emergency fund, and most of all peace of mind.

Now, I am inviting YOU, yes YOU to take this challenge with me. What do you get out of it?
Money in your pocket!

I will have posts on FREE ACTIVITIES, Food Bargains, and FREE GIFTS from the heart. Join me!

My immediate line of duty is downsizing our monthly grocery bill. We are on an average spending $800-$1000 a month on groceries. Yes on food! Add it up to see how ridiculous that is. We are not celebrities or CEO's, just a middle class American Family.

My goal is $460/month or $115/week. That includes dining out, beverages on the go, and dinners at home.

I started the month of October on a high note, since we had a road trip to Austin and stopped at all the food chains for a burger or taco, etc. Which left me with a budget of $50/week for the remainder of this month.

That being said, here is my FIRST CHALLENGE!

What can you purchase with $50 for an ENTIRE WEEK?
That means 3 meals a day for $7.14/day or $2.38/meal!
Mission Impossible? Maybe or not!

Come back tomorrow to see as I make my list, check out the specials, clip coupons, and plan out my Menu, what my goal is and whether or not I can accomplish it.

In the meantime, if you wish to join along POST A COMMENT or E-mail me. Let's empower one another to live within our means and focus on what's really important.

4 comments:

Are These Kids All Yours? said...

Yep....we are debt free, but we are trying to afford another adoption as well as give as much away as possible. With a family of 9 soon to be 10 it is essential. I am so glad to hear you talk about this openly! What a BLESSING to others!!!!! This is a big deal and there is always more to learn...for us it has been a long road of learning. With that some growing pains, but also soooo many Blessings!!!

Romen Noodles!!! Lots of sandwiches (everyday at lunch!), buy generic or in bulk, always take drinks with you on the road & pack snacks and sandwiches to not eat fast food as much as possible.
No cable or satellite
spend smaller amounts on birthdays and Christmas- do things together instead.
Make fewer trips to the store- plan more ahead of "staple" items. Less chance to impulse buy- do a list & stick to it.
have a budget- which you now have
cook stuff from scratch
TITHE!!!
Recycle clothes
clean with vinegar- cheap naturally anti- germ and safe to use
homeade baby wipes & laundry soap
we eat out maybe 2 times a month
we cut our own hair
Hey I want to see other peoples Ideas....always looking for more ideas to save $$$$$

BUMBLE BEANS said...

Crack out the crock pot.
You can make more meals with fewer HEATHIER ingredients and can stretch the food & $ a lot farther...
Make your own mixes, like pancakes, waffles etc, that can be stored in the fridge. oh, I go tall kinds of things you can do food wise to make a budget of $50 a week easily to handle.
Bake cookies, throw in the freezer...
crackers, homemade yogurt, it's all easier than you think, take one day a week to do some of these and you'll see a difference... When I get home I 'll send you my pancake recipe... easy peasey.
good luck! you can do it!

BUMBLE BEANS said...

Also, did I send you my little cookbook last xmas? the recipe is in there. also to make your own laundry soap which saves you a lot! and all these things take minutes to make...so don't be intimidated...
also, visit my foodie blog. I have a bunch of other easy yummy recipes...
http://trythisyourself.blogspot.com/
hugs to all!

BUMBLE BEANS said...

can you tell you got me worked up on this issue? convenience food is evil. ;-)

Homemade Laundry Soap

1 bar ivory soap grated.

½ cup washing soda

½ cup borax powder

~You will also need a small bucket, about 2 gallon size~



Grate the soap and put it in a sauce pan. Add 6 cups water and heat it until the soap melts. Add the washing soda and the borax and stir until it is dissolved. Remove from heat. Pour 4 cups hot water into the bucket. Now add your soap mixture and stir. Now add 1 gallon plus 6 cups of water and stir. Let the soap sit for about 24 hours and it will gel. You use ½ cup per load.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin