Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Day 1: Grocery Challenge Recipes

OK, so you are broke and living on a really, really tight budget! You want to get away from eating peanut butter or tuna fish sandwiches, or warming up Romen noodle soup, or considering cereal your main course for dinner tonight. Now what?

The following meals cost me less than $1 per serving. That's right! Less than $1. So it's not Food Network material, but every family is capable of purchasing and eating it too.


Scrambled Eggs w/ Fresh Tomato, Jalapeno, & Chives Salsa
Cost Per Serving: .60 Cents including the Bagel

You can purchase a carton of eggs for $1 these days. That's around .8 cents per egg.
The bagels were on the clearance rack at King Soopers for $1.25 for a bag of 6. That's .20 cents per bagel.
I used fresh tomatoes & chives out of my garden.
Jalapenos cost .10 or less each at the market.


Baked Kraft Mac & Cheese with Broiled Turkey Franks
Cost Per Serving: .35 cents

OK, you might think I'm lying, but here is the breakdown.

I bought 3 Boxes of Kraft Mac & Cheese for $1 at Safeway (weekend promotion). I only used 2 boxes(.67 cents). I cooked it according to the box instructions. I then added an additional 1/3 cup shredded cheddar and 1/3 cup of breadcrumbs in a bowl. Baked at 350 degrees for 15 minutes in a muffin pan, in order to create individual servings for the kids.

The turkey hot dogs cost $1.00 for 8 franks. That's around .8 cents per link. I broiled them for approx 8 mins. I thought the boys would enjoy them crispy.


Creamy Carrots Soup
Cost Per Serving: .80 cents

$1.00 for a 1 lb. bag of carrots
$2.00 for homemade chicken broth
.50 for sour cream
.50 cents for 1 potato, 1 onion, & seasonings

That's $4.00 total divided by 5 servings = .80 cents per serving


Homemade Bread

I ran out of bread last night & knew that my son and husband needed to take a sandwich for work today. Instead of running to the store, I baked my own. I had plenty of flour & yeast at home to whip up a batch. The texture is so much more substantial and the taste is incomparable. I will be honest in saying that it takes finesse to work with dough.

If you've never made bread before, start with a loaf of Irish Soda bread, which is less work and easier to maneuver. If you have a Bread Machine that has not been used in 15 years or so, time to wipe off the dust and use it. And if you feel extra domesticated today, then get your hands dirty.


Thanks for stopping by today and come back tomorrow for more Budget Friendly meal ideas.

1 comment:

Are These Kids All Yours? said...

Loving the ideas....will be using some soon!!!! Living cheap has become a motto around here too!!! Thanks. I love homemade bread...and so does our family. Homemade biscuits are easy too.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin