Monday, September 28, 2009

Crafty Week



Remember my 1ST Quilt???? Yes, the one I started months and months ago? Well.....here it is! The motivation?
My niece was born three days ago and I had no more excuses.

I was very content with the Pop that it had...I know how much infants are attracted to contrast and colors and thought this would offer both.



I fell in love with the backing just as much....very girlie...don't you think? All in all I calculated 100 woman hours of labor on my first....I pray that I get faster, otherwise I won't be able to make many more.

I would appreciate any tricks and tips from the Pros out there.




After I mailed out my Quilt, I had one more crafty undertaking....my daughter's 1ST Birthday Party. Ladybugs have been a part of her life since she was born, and the madness continues to grow. The theme for her birthday? You guessed it...ladybugs.

However, I wanted to created other points of interest at her party.

We (my son, husband, and I), decorated 12 mini-pots filled with moss and my daughters photos from the past 12 months. "See how she's grown." Not my original idea, although I would love to take all the credit. I found it on the Celebrate Express site that shares Honorable Mentions by Party Themes.

We enjoyed making them while reminiscing how the year just flew by.

I purchased the pots from Michaels for .69 cents each, bag of moss for $2.49, bag of Popsicle sticks for $2.49 and used construction paper and glue to bring it all together. Inexpensive idea with a priceless effect!

3 comments:

Are These Kids All Yours? said...

Love the quilt! Wish I could do that? Maybe I should try??? The party idea- very cute. I am all about fun & cute with little money :)

BUMBLE BEANS said...

Corn! Love the Quilt! Well done! You've caught the quilt "lady" bug!
;-) You did an amazing job on your first! mine was not as lovely.... sigh. but it's still being loved by my niece. Kate is 1! those were some really cute pictures you sent. my how time does fly. say hi to the boys! and your hubby! we miss you!

Rannyjean said...

Beautiful first quilt. I am not a pro, but a few questions? Did you use a machine or hand quilt? Some short cuts I use:
1- If machine sewing, thread 3-4 bobbins with the thread you are planning on using before you start this way, you aren't stopped to rewind each time.
2- When making a binding, I not only iron the initial fold, I iron the second fold which makes it easier to line up.
3-I use a leather thimble, it works best for me and saves my quilt from any blood due to a misplaced needle.
4-I do NOT pre-wash unless the fabric comes from a second hand store or yard sale.
5-I keep plastic lock top small bins for 2, 3, 4, 5 & 6" squares of fabric and if I need them, I have them.
6-Don't be afraid to do your own thing. I once had a quilter tell me I had to redo a quilt because it didn't have 1/4" seams...no one would see it when I finished, so who cares? Yes, in many patterns it makes it easier, but you can adjust.
7-Measure, measure and measure before you cut.
8-Do not place your fingers in the path of a rotary cutter, I have and yes, they can cut flesh!
9-Likewise do not place your fingers in the path of a moving sewing machine needle, I have and yes, they will sew whatever they go through to the fabric below.
10-Experiment with different fabrics, textures, colors and have fun! You have a great beginning.
For more ideas, head on over to
https://www.gfcquilting.com/refer_friend.html, a truly great online shop with a ton of information for beginners. Tell them the Quiltingranny sent you. I have been by her shop tons of times and still haven't found everything.
Quilt outside the lines, don't follow everyone else!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin