Thursday, May 28, 2009

Quilting 101

My 1st Quilt!


First let me start by saying that I am a Domestic Diva when it comes to cooking, baking, and drinking. But I am a Domestic Virgin when it comes to everything else, e.g. quilting, canning, sewing, pottery, etc.

My friend V, who lives in the Big Apple and has her own blog Bumble Beans (click on name to view her site),
can do all of it.

I entered the blog world myself and started following her posts daily. I was captivated by her dedicated and interactive Followers and
was inspired by all that I read and especially what I saw.

I love fabrics and prints!
Started working with them in the Fashion District
at the ripe age of 17 but that career never amounted to much.

Life comes full circle and here I go.

I signed up for Quilting 101.
Terrified that the teachers and students would laugh at
my lack of knowledge and sewing skills.

Last night was a real treat!
No sewing yet, phew, just picking out fabrics,
similar to scoping out candy at a candy store.
So riveting so therapeutic.

I decided to go the Ladybug route (for my border)........I am sure it's no surprise to those of you that know me best and realize that ever since I gave birth to Kate I am unable to think of anything else. Ladybugs are a good luck charm and I can use a lot of that for my first project.

What did I learn about in my first class?

I learned how to cut a clean edge with the Rotary Cutter, which I have been warned can also perform most surgeries.........chop off a finger, a toe, etc. Definitely keep out of children's reach.

I also learned the three factors that make a quilt attractive:
lights, darks, and the Kicker!

Then I was taught about the one question that daunts most quilters:

"Which came first the chicken or the egg?" in quilting world that translates to:

" To wash or not to wash" the fabrics before beginning the cutting and sewing process.

It all depends on the color and the purpose of the quilt. Or just personal preference.

My teacher believes that most of the cotton fabrics today have been developed to not bleed the way they used to, but there are always exceptions.

I am in a six week program and by the end of it I will have myself a Baby Quilt to hang on Kate's wall and gawk at it together.

4 comments:

BUMBLE BEANS said...

yeah! your doing it! yippeee! can't wait to watch how it goes! please post your work! hugs to you guys and a huge (tomorrow)happy bday to E!

kimmyshouse said...

Cool Corina,
I can't wait to see the finished work. Enjoy the challenge and thrill of accomplishing such a task.
Happy Summer---

Fabric Fanatic said...

I can't wait to see what develops here...welcome to my favorite addiction (fabric and quilting) and to blogland. V is a great inspiration for many of us.

MandMStudio said...

Lovely fabric:) Quilt ing is so much fun and you will be totally hooked:) I just started myself.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin