Monday, April 27, 2009

A Green Birthday Party

Ethan came home on Earth Day from school and very gently said, " Mom, I don't want to have a Star Wars Party. I changed my mind. Instead I want to invite my friends over and clean up all the trash off the streets. There is a lot of trash in the Ocean and I love Orcas. Can we do that?"

Tears welled up in my eyes, causing his sweet face to become fuzzy. I was more excited to throw him a "Green Party" than Star Wars anyway. He has enough toys.

After some research online, I came across a site called ECHOage.com (click on name to view site). They provide you with online invites (save the paper) and it allows you to choose a cause for your party that guests can make donations to. In our case, we chose EarthCorps which coincidentally helps out the orcas and the rest of the environment.

We are throwing the party at the Aquarium where the children can develop an appreciation for our oceans and the sea creatures that depend on our common sense to keep them safe.

Children pick up on empathy at an early age, they just need exposure to those in need. Take the time to educate them on how blessed they are and what our responsibility is as residents of this planet to preserve the beauty around us. Nothing is maintained without effort.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin