Sunday, February 1, 2009

Self Discovery

Last night, I had a very gratifying dinner with a close friend. I've known her for years, but for the first time she is blossoming into the woman she was meant to be. It's quite refreshing to me.

We discussed about being true to yourself and your beliefs. Everyone has heard of the phrase "authentic self", but how many of us truly are authentic?

We play so many different roles...mother, friend, spouse, employee, teacher, sibling, etc., that we lose our identity below all those layers. We become who we think we should be or what the world wants us to be. In turn, it starts to cause anxiety, confusion, unhappiness, because we are not living the life we want to live.

Take a few minutes today to really think about what YOU want out of life and the things that YOU want to accomplish without the influence of anybody else. What are your interests and passions? What will make you be the optimum person that you can be? What makes you genuinely happy?

2 comments:

BUMBLE BEANS said...

Hey Corn.
yes, this is a daily challenge. A series of checks and balances... For me it's to know that I am enough just as I am. Not all the things we have, or places we go. that striped down, what I have, is all I need.

Corn said...

I couldn't agree more, well said!!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin