Monday, February 23, 2009

Start A Mini-Book Club


Ethan brought home a Tyrannosaurus Rex tooth that he made in his Mad Scientist class last week. I was blown away, I loved it so much. He is enthralled with dinosaurs. Every Friday is library day at his school and he has brought home a different dinosaur book every single time.

I am being educated all over again myself. There are so many things that I either forgot or never learned in the first place. Kids thrive when their parents are involved in their education. One of Kurt's clients who raised two successful adults, told him that when the teachers approached her to place her children in advanced courses because they were "geniuses" her response was, "My kids are not geniuses, they just have involved parents."


Education doesn't stop at school, it begins there and should continue at home.


Today, I came up with an idea of starting a children's book club for Ethan and Lance. I thought of teaming up with a mom whose kids are the same age group and choosing a book of the month to read with our boys. We will meet at the end of the month to discuss it with them. We can create a game or a craft around the subject to make it engaging along with cupcakes/cookies.

Women bond through stories all the time. Children can do the same. Their peers can spark their excitement for learning. Take the time to start your own book club with your child no matter how young or how old.


If your child is in college maybe this would be a good excuse to reconnect at least once a month.

1 comment:

Ashley said...

What a clever boy! Ethan did a great job on his "tooth". Don't you just love how their little minds work? Your book club idea is a good one. I have found it so important to make reading something fun and enjoyable. I've also found that reading has helped my boys with their writting skills, too.

You are a GREAT mom! :)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin