Friday, February 20, 2009

Driving Etiquette

Today, as I was driving towards Kurt's Salon, I decided to be a most courteous driver. I was in no particular rush and so I followed all the rules (which we should all do anyway). I drove the speed limit, allowed for any car that signaled to enter in front of me, drove one car space behind for every ten miles per hour, and just watched traffic pass me by.

I wonder how many accidents are caused daily because we are in such a particular rush. My biggest pet peeve is when I signal to merge into a specific lane, which motivates the car behind me to speed up and make sure that I do not cross in front of them. Congratulations, you are now a half a mili-second ahead of me. Worst case scenario, is that I would make the crossover and that person would crash into me. Is it really worth it? For what? Ego? You're in a hurry? You want to prove what a macho driver you are?

Think about the decisions that you make as a driver and how a poor ones can cost you your life. We can't always determine what a person's intentions are face to face, much less when they are behind a wheel and a total stranger to us. The best you can do is to be a safe and calm driver and allow yourself the room you need to get out of a potential calamity.

Last but not least, DO NOT TEXT WHILE YOU DRIVE!!!! You are a moving time bomb. My children's lives depend on it!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I second that!!! I don't know how people text when they drive. You absolutely have to take your eyes off the road. I always think about the parents lives at stake who are responsible for so many children. I've got your back girl. Kat

Blog Widget by LinkWithin