Thursday, February 12, 2009

The Debt Addiction



I got into a very philosophical and poignant conversation with my friend about the debt we are in and how to get out of it.


Money has a hold on us no matter how much we would like to deny it. We all experience a different relationship with the good ole dollar bill. Whether it manifests itself as our self esteem or our security, it is always present. The only way to escape its hold on us would be, total seclusion....e.g. a monk or nun! Unfortunately most of us are the average Joe trying to make sense of it all.


Why is it so easy to allow ourselves to spend unconsciously and regain consciousness when it is too late? Ninety-five percent of people in my life are in debt that they are struggling to get out of.


Debt negates freedom. Debt negates happiness. Debt negates our quality of time.


The good news is that we do have control over it when we finally accept the problem. Spending is no different than any other addiction. Since most of us are a "hiccup away from homelessness", today should be our wake up call.


There is no better time than during a recession for a call to action.






4 comments:

Mirela said...

Hi, my name is Mirela and I,m addict...of spending money that I don't have!! Thanks Corn for your words of encouragement.

CORN said...

Hi Mirela...welcome to our group...LOL!!!! I am an addict too...wanna go shopping tomorrow...LOL!!!

Fox-Pop said...

I want to go shopping with you guys to spend money we don't have?!?! Dammit Colorado is wayyyyyyyyy too far from NY!!

CORN said...

I couildn't think of a deadlier combination than the three of us shopping ;)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin