Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Today Is A Gift


Dear Readers,

My blog was inspired of all things by my boys' favorite movie "Kung Fu Panda." Master Oogway gives the following advice to Po (the Giant Panda), "Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called a present." What wonderful wisdom from an animated character.

Beyonce last night commented at the Inauguration that having Barack Obama as our new President made her want to be smarter and help make a difference. I believe most of us feel like we have the opportunity at a new beginning as a country and as individuals.

Master Oogway and Beyonce made me consider how I can possibly apply this to my daily life as a stay-at-home mom with three kids, just trying to get through the day. Where could I possibly find the time or inspiration to make a difference on a daily basis?

There are so many versions of making a difference and living with purpose. It usually starts with the smaller things in life, since we are not all capable of donating a surmountable sum of money or time to a charity. It starts with our immediate circle, our children, our spouses,our neighbors, and our friends and family.

A kind word can make a person's day. A smile can brighten up someones world. Speaking with patience and love in our voice can empower our children and give them the confidence they need to succeed in life. A simple phone call to a family member who lives at a distance can bring you closer. The sky is the limit, you just need to make the time and conscious effort to live in the present.

Every waking moment is no doubt a gift that belongs to us. Wouldn't it be a shame to waste it? How many friends or family members have we lost in the blink of an eye and wonder how did they spend their last moments? Did they know it would be their last day? Did they have the opportunity to tell their loved ones how they felt? Were they truly happy and living with no regrets at the moment of their passing? Did I have the opportunity to make them feel loved? Sometimes we think we know the answers but we can never quite understand what lies in someones heart, but our own.

I can only control my own destiny and legacy. I believe that the only way to start living in the present is to create my own blog where I am accountable to myself and others by having to enter my daily accomplishments, small and big. I can no longer live an unconscious life only to have it taken away from me in a matter of a seconds.

I hope that this will inspire you to do the same and share in this journey with me.

With love,
Corn

3 comments:

BUMBLE BEANS said...

YEAH! I love it! Food for thought. Be inspired, be proud of all things great and small.
miss you guys.

kimmyshouse said...

Good stuff Corina. I'll enjoy keeping up with you.
Shannon

r said...

haleys 1st movie kung fu panda

shes been asking to go back to the theatre

Blog Widget by LinkWithin