Friday, January 23, 2009

Nourish Your Friendships


Dear Friends,


I got a call this morning from my dear friend Christine who sounded exhausted. She was up all night with her son who spiked a 103 degree fever. Christine has four kids and her husband is out of town training for his new job.


I wanted to know if she needed anything and I got the response that I was expecting, "No I will be fine. I don't want your kids to get sick too." "Are you sure?", I asked. "Yeah, I'll be fine, I just needed to call someone to vent to." I hung up the phone and felt horrible about not being able to relieve some of my friends agony.


I paced around my house analysing our conversation. The conclusion I came up with is that as women we are hard wired to handle our own burdens without imposing on another individual. How many times have we heard the phrase, "If you need anything let me know." Well, it's ok for that person to not "let us know" and take the initiative to extend ourselves willingly.


I took out a plastic container and filled it up with chicken rice soup that I cooked last night. I figured chicken soup can cure any cold, as well as, a mother's anguish over what she should cook for her four kids when one of them is wailing in agony. I knew that she was visiting with the pediatrician, so I placed the container in a gift bag with a note that said, "A little chicken rice soup to make the little guy feel better." I drove by her house and left the bag in an inconspicuous place for her to find when she returned.


Moral of the story is, that if you have a friend in need and there is something that you can do for them, don't wait to be asked, just do what feels sincere in your heart.

1 comment:

BUMBLE BEANS said...

Hey Corn!
that was a good post. words taken to heart!
Check your settings, on comments, when you signed my blog, I can't reply to your comments...
I'm trying t find the way to do that, but I havent' found it yet...

Blog Widget by LinkWithin