Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Maternal Instinct















Hello Ladies,

Everyday, I have been blogging about what I did for the day to make a difference. In this entry I want to talk about what a few moms did for me to change my life.


I went to the mall today with Lance and Kate to let him run around. We played for a good hour and then it was time to leave. As we exited the playground, I turned for a split second to attach Kate's car seat to the stroller, and Lance was gone. A mother's worst nightmare. In situations like these I try to pace myself first, before I go into full panic mode.


I calmly called out his name while scavenging the premises. I peered to my left, no sign of him. I peered to my right, still no Lance. That's when I could feel my blood rushing through my veins at 1000 mph and my vision starting to fade fast. Now, I was no longer logical, but a lioness out to find her cub. I began to growl so loud that all the women in the mall took notice. Without asking, I had two mothers who became instant detectives out of sheer instinct. When God blesses us with the role of motherhood, He also instills in us a sense of responsibility for every child on this planet. The two women, pushing strollers themselves, asked me for a description as they entered store by store looking for Lance. No luck. I pulled enough strength out of my being to thank them.

I continued to look around the playground, and then a little voice involuntarily pushed my body towards the elevators near the mall exit. Before my eyes, I see a vulnerable little boy with tears raging down like the Niagara Falls. He stood weak in front of another mom who was determined to keep him from leaving the territory. She was bent over struggling to understand him while preventing him from leaving. At that very moment she became my guardian angel and I thanked her profusely. She smiled sweetly and looked relieved for both of us.

The three moms became my best friends in a matter of seconds, even though we never met and will probably never meet again. What they accomplished for me and my family this afternoon, I will never forget. My worst fear played out before me in what seemed like an eternity. The outcome thankfully was a happy one. Lance and I both cried as we hugged like this might be our last time. Our lives can really change in the blink of an eye. We need to treasure every single moment.

To all the moms and women out there, thank you for being my angels!!!

2 comments:

Ashley said...

Hi Corina,
Your blog is GREAT! Thanks for sharing it with me. I look forward to following along, and of course the pictures of your darling kiddos!

corn said...

Thanks Ashley...I love your blog as well and I cannot wait to meet Lilly too.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin